Everyone dreams of easier lives as they get older. Retirement is the time when we think we should finally relax. However, there are a few concerns faced by seniors especially when it comes to health and care facilities. There are several challenges that senior citizens come across to their specific age group. Here are the 10 problems seniors facing today when it comes to their health and care.
- Health Issues and diseases- Health problems can occur at any age. We can’t blame age for that. However, when one age, it is quite obvious that body becomes weak and a home of one or two health issues and get it treated on time is very important. Seniors often come across with many diseases or health issues when they reach a particular age. It can be osteoporosis, muscular degeneration, cataracts, dementia and Alzheimer’s. These are names of a few diseases that threaten the life of an individual and also effect functioning capabilities. It is important to know how to cope with these health issues and to prepare for it mentally.
- Health Care Costs- As we get older, we need proper healthcare. It is crucial to know about the health issues and get proper screening to know about particular health problems in the early stages. With the rising medical costs, indeed, it is quite difficult for seniors to spend more and that surely impact one’s budget. There should be special provisions that help them to minimize the cost of the medical bills.
- Physical Assistance- As we ages, doing some normal physical work become a hard nut to crack. Whether it is going to doctor’s visit, getting groceries or doing any small task like house cleaning, car washing, getting services of home care provider becomes essential. Perhaps, getting a help can be challenging, but you should hire some assistant who could help you to do all the small tasks without any hassle.
- Physical ageing- Indeed, this is one of the common aspects that one should be ready for. Ageing means physical weakness. It restricts your movements and affects your body as a whole. The bones get weak, eyes don’t see clearly. Therefore, exercise and nutrition become important as one age. This is one of the most common yet serious healthcare issues one goes through after certain age and it is important to take care of it in a proper way.
- Financial Security- Today, cost of living has climbed to a large extent. If you are living on a fixed source of income then also it poses financial restrictions. It’s not generally withdrawals to make an additional salary that exhaust the accounts. Maybe there were concealed doctor’s visit expenses. Maybe there was a noteworthy repair to the home that was not foreseen. Maybe there was a splitting and a part of advantages which is not all that extraordinary with senior couples today. In today’s advanced society, we regularly observe the kids returning and requesting financial help or moving because they have no cash. Maybe the funds and venture give back that were expected didn’t emerge and the accounts did not develop to keep pace. Maybe the pay stream amid the senior years did not develop as quickly as inflation and reserve funds and investments were attacked to expand pay.
- The Senior Is Losing His or Her Independence – Seniors can lose their freedom basically as a result of cutting edge age and a general frailty and weakness– requiring mediation and support from other individuals. However, the most well-known reason for losing freedom is dementia. The danger of dementia or loss of cognitive capacity increases significantly as one becomes more established. For seniors who are age 80 or more, the danger of dementia is just about half. This implies half of every single matured senior are encountering some type of intellectual weakness.
- Running out of Savings and Investment- Numerous people start their senior years with a lot of investments and savings and others not really. The individuals who have little in savings and investments are especially powerless against sudden costs that may emerge. In any case, there is additionally an issue for the individuals who have effective in putting aside some additional cash. Since individuals are living so long, they regularly outlast their funds and investments. This means en route to getting to be plainly more established at age 85 or age 90 or age 95, various uses have eaten into investments as well as savings.
- Neglect or Abuse- Many assisted living facilities, as well as nursing homes, often struggle with under-staffing problems that result in neglect or abuse of the residents. Therefore, when looking for such place, it is important to look for one that is highly recommended by trusted people. You can look at the Internet and look for the websites and read reviews. This will give you surety that seniors will be safe and secure and will be treated well on time.
- Loneliness- In old age, there is possibility that you might lose your ageing friends due to some kind of health issue. They might be suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or even death. If senior at your home feels lonely then you can keep a pet as their companion. Many individuals encounter loneliness and sadness in old age, either subsequently of living alone or because of the absence of close family ties and decreased connections with their way of life of starting point, which brings about a powerlessness to effectively take an interest in the group exercises. With propelling age, it is unavoidable those individuals lose association with their friendship systems and that they think that it’s harder to start new kinships and to have a place with new systems. The present review was led to research the connections among sadness, loneliness and amiability in elderly individuals.
- Transportation- With the growing age, our eyes become weaker and less clear. This can be the biggest trouble at the old age. Luckily, there are transportation facilities available for them, helping them to take them from one place to another.
Jack is a writer, blogger, and loves teaching and educating others. When he’s not substitute teaching at his local elementary school, he spends most of his free time helping his mother who is dealing with dementia.
Updated: April 21, 2016